With completion of 2017 AFC club competitions today, 2017 AFC Club Competitions Ranking should be published by AFC soon. This ranking will be used by AFC to determine which member associations (MA) are eligible for AFC Champions League and AFC Cup in the 2019 and 2020 seasons. You can view our calculation of the ranking here .
How are the slots allocated?
All MAs will be splitted into two regions for AFC Champions League and five zones for AFC Cup, to determine the slot allocation for each MA.
For AFC Champions League, MAs ranked 1st to 12th in each region are eligible to submit their club. Here is the default slots allocation for each region :
- MAs ranked 1st and 2nd : 3 direct slots and 1 play-off slot
- MAs ranked 3rd and 4th : 2 direct slots and 2 play-off slot
- MA ranked 5th : 1 direct slot and 2 play-off slot
- MA ranked 6th : 1 direct slot and 1 play-off slot
- MA ranked 7th to 12th : 1 play-off slot
MA that have received direct ACL slots is not eligible for AFC Cup. Ranking for each zones then will be determined after removal of those MAs. Here is the default slots allocation for West and ASEAN zone. These zones will be consisted of 12 teams (3 groups @4 teams) :
- MAs ranked 1st to 3rd : 2 direct slots
- MAs ranked 4th to 6th : 1 direct slot and 1 play-off slot
- MAs ranked 7th or below : 1 play-off slot
While Central, South, and East zones will be consisted of 4 teams in 1 group. Here is the default slots allocation :
- MAs ranked 1st to 3rd : 1 direct slot and 1 play-off slot
- MAs ranked 4th or below : 1 play-off slot
Are the slot allocation for each MA fixed?
Although the ranking is fixed, the slots allocation is provisional due to different circumstances. For example, there are many unused slots in 2017 AFC club competitions due to different reasons :
- Iraq, Lebanon, and Syria didn’t fulfill AFC Club Licensing Criteria so their slots in AFC Champions League are unused.
- Brunei, Indonesia, Macau, Nepal, Pakistan, Timor-Leste and Yemen didn’t submit any club entry for the competition.
- Bangladesh and Guam only submitted one club entry despite being eligible to submit two clubs.
Each season, all these reasons will be considered by AFC Competitions Committee to determine the final slots allocation. Usually, AFC finalized the slots allocation in December of the previous year. So the slots allocation for 2018 season should be announced in December 2017.
- Entry Manual AFC Club Competitions 2017-2020
- 2017 AFC Champions League, Wikipedia
- 2017 AFC Cup, Wikipedia